Thursday 26 January 2012

Australia Day or Invasion Day...

Just a small post today to share my thoughts... I am pondering how to celebrate something that has brought a vast amount of suffering to our indigenous people? For me, I am reminded of an episode of Northern exposure, where the native Americans threw tomatoes at people to celebrate thanksgiving. I don't want to wear my food, but there is something to the idea of acknowledging this is more than a public holiday, or a celebration of the day Englands first fleet arrived. For our indigenous Australians, it is an anniversary of an event that changed their culture forever. Surely we can find a way to celebrate our wonderful country, this amazing melting pot of global culture, and show our pride, while acknowledging how it came to be. Or at what cost and to who. A way to create and celebrate unity. Random thought over. Bek.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Miss B - am I the first commentor (er?) on your brand spankin' new blog? Hi from another Kombi driving, self-sufficient striving blogger, Sonya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonya, thank you for my first, and very welcoming comment!! And a big kombi wave right back at ya!

      Delete