Monday 11 June 2012

Weeds are my friends

After my last post I was a little anxious, and fought the urge to delete it, but I'm fighting my self conscious urges, repeating in my head 'good crazy or bad crazy, I am who I am, and this is my space.' I think it might have been my mantra for this week, along with, 'sanity over sanitation.' As I look about my house and feel guilty for all that I can't do at present, the good news is I am on the mend, and day by day I can do just a little bit more. 

It has been raining so much here on the western outskirts of Melbourne, my weeds are very happy, and there is so much green. My poor garden has been very neglected. In my food growing journey, I have thought weeds an enemy, but I have noticed something, the weeds have softened my rock hard clay soil, their roots digging deep saved me back breaking work, so for now, I will unashamedly leave them, as long as they aren't dropping seed or taking valuble space. Not a lazy gardener, a smart one. Okay, I am lazy but now I have a good excuse, and I have a great way to get free organic matter into the clay. 

This was the section my capsicums were in, with my partners help, I have moved them to the greenhouse. The fruit just wasn't making it in the frosty winter mornings. The grass you see had grown lushly all through this bed, even though before planting I'd weeded, dug through lime, and covered thickly with newspaper and sugarcane mulch. The amazing thing for me was, before I'd started, this bed was hard and dry rocky clay with not a worm in site. As I dug up the capsicums and weeds, not only were they the easiest weeds I've ever pulled, but in the bottom of every hole, WORMS, lots and lot of worms. I was so excited! They say if in a shovelful of soil you find ten worms, your soil is rockin', my soil is positively kick arse! As soon as the rain stops, I'll be out to finish ripping out the grass and weeds as this will be my brassica area, and I have some kale and broccoli seedlings in need of a home. 

The garden beds this week, I still haven't pulled out the tomatoes, but the celery is going to good use. Soon I'll have space for more plants. 

And finally, there has been lots and lots of bread making. This loaf was made by Baby spawn, who marked it with a huge A for Amelia, and I am posting this picture with pride. I am off to snuggle under the throw rug on my couch with My Justin and watch a good 'end of the world as we know it' flick, with a little warm apple pie and cream, and 15yo spawn who loves to be scared.

Bek. 



No comments:

Post a Comment