Sunday 9 December 2012

It could be home...

  
It think this is a cherry tree, I will be posting various fruit tree photos throughout, if you know what they are, please let me know, and I still would love to hear from brave treechangers out there. Or even those who have left the country and braved suburbia. Please share your experiences, and advice.

As I wrote earlier today, we decided to look at a house to purchase in a tiny rural town. It has a mini orchard, (hence the questioning fruit tree photos), a place to keep the chickens, it has a perfect place for veggie growing, several fenced paddocks, and even a stable. Everything is in varying states of disrepair, but I won't post those photos as its not my property... Yet. 

Crab apples? 

There is a huge cypress out the front, that my youngest has claimed as hers, infact, every one has claimed a room, a paddock, and has started to make plans. I myself walked through with much trepidation, I squashed hope, excitement, and my hearts yearning, with every flaw I could find. But alas, even the old unfinished floors, that bowed and sagged so badly, couldn't stop my stupid brain from screaming mine! 

Plums?

I tried to tell my heart that the bullnose veranda looked like a truck fell on it, or that I hate the oh-so-pink bathroom with the rusty bathtub. I really do hate pink, but my heart said, live with it for a while, you can fix it... Eventually. 

Apricots or maybe almonds?

Hope would not leave as I looked at the overgrown paddocks, it whispered jersey cow and goats, more fruit trees, berries, and space, your space, your land. I told hope about responsibility, fence mending, and the added expenses of slashing and a ride on mower. You'll learn, we'll find a way she gently whispered, reinforcing Justin's own words. And Justin's hope came out too, ours, it could all be ours. 


No idea?

Well after that, my stupid excitement wouldn't be quiet either. We have found that there is a local school bus that will take kids to high school, and the primary school is visible through the opposite neighbours paddocks. There is a pub, a general store/post office, and a communtity hall with more community groups than our whole family could ever have the time for. We did come across a scary person, via my daughter who had some guy yell across the road at her (she was walking down the Main Street to use the pub toilets,) to go and bash someone in the house she was passing, but sadly for my head, excitement would not be quelled. He's only one, I'm sure the other 300 odd people are fine. The gentleman who could be our new neighbour returned the hello, okay, he said it rushed like, and walked extra fast away, but I think that had more to do with the two greyhounds he was walking, and his own hope that I might not be stupid enough to approach them. 

So now we are looking at the cost of firewood, and ride on mowers. The feasibility of cheap carpet offcuts, second hand bathtubs, and temporary fence solutions for murphy. This could be home... 
Bek.











No comments:

Post a Comment