Monday 6 February 2012

Garden updates




Wow, what busy couple of weeks. As of today all three of my still at home kids are back at school, one started on Thursday, one on Friday, and the last today. As usual we aren't completely ready with all of the required school books and such. Last week my son Brendan turned 20, and the week before that was my partner Justin's birthday, and the week before that, My daughter Kiana-Rose turned 15. On top of the usual things It's been a Hectic time. Cleaning up on school holidays seems to be an exercise in futility, it's the garden where I have been most productive.




My pumpkins and melon of some sort are thriving.



I finally picked a ripe juicy strawberry and ate it, the kids have been running out to the garden for lettuce to put on their rolls and we harvested a handful of basil for a Minestrone Kiana-Rose and I made. I am hoping by next month I'll be eating a lot more food that we've grown. 


I have always loved watching those little white butterfly's flitting around our garden, now, I really wish they'd go frolic elsewhere. Last week I noticed bright green caterpillar like things eating my broccoli and nasturtiums, after a little research I discovered that they were the larvae of the harmlessly cute looking white butterfly. I am happy to share some of my food with the insect world, but seriously? The way these little inchworms were chomping at my food supply, there was going to be nothing left for me come harvest time. I shoved my guilt way into the nether regions of my mind, the bits that emptied out after having children, and bought some dipel. Although Dipel is organically okay, there is  a feeling of having cheated, or failed in someway. I am sure when it comes time to eat our homegrown broccoli, guilt will be the last thing on my mind, yum!

In other parts of the garden this week I've planted spring onion seeds, a blueberry bush, and a raspberry cane in the garden, and sowed salad greens in trays. if the blueberries and raspberries survive my black thumb, I'll buy a few more of each, but maybe different types. I am off to enjoy my last hour of peace before the kids come home. 

Happy Monday! 
Bek.






2 comments:

  1. Hi Bec. I am pleased to see you are following my blog. I have thwarted the white cabbage butterflies by keeping my broccoli, cabbages etc covered with a bit of old sheer curtain material, strung up on some string and sticks. If the butterflies can't get in to lay eggs...no caterpillars. It works well. But if they have already laid eggs you will have to keep picking them off or use Dipel which is a safe dusting powder. Cheers, Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, I actually have some old sheer curtains just begging to be recycled. You have a great blog,I look forward to reading your enthusiastic posts, and gleaning a little inspiration from your garden. *Grin*

    ReplyDelete