Friday 24 February 2012

A welcome visitor

It's going to be a pleasant 35 degrees today in Melbourne, so I thought I'd give my growing veggies a good soak this morning. After a job well done, I sat on my deck admiring all of the new growth, contemplating where else I can grow food in Murphy's ever shrinking yard, when something moved over near the cucumbers.

My backyard is a melting pot of all the pests you don't want to see, even mice. Since the floods occurred in Victoria last year, we've had the most atrocious mouse problems. With all of the farming land around me, and perfect weather conditions, the little nuisance rodents have been the bane of my home. I have seen them, running back and forth along the cucumbers, and just presumed it was another little mousey come to taunt. Imagine my surprise with my brain thinking mouse, and my eyes seeing scales, my mind suddenly shouted SNAKE!! Fortunately for the snake it had legs, and a pretty blue tongue! I couldn't believe my luck, and I'm sure when he stumbled into my backyard, neither could he with the smorgasbord that awaited him! 



He's a good size too, I think the mice, snails and bugs will have met their match. I am so glad I am not using poisons in my yard, and I hope this blue tongue lizard is a ferocious predator, with an enormous appetite. I'm also hoping he brings some friends and intends to stay, and having said that, I am off to research what my backyard might need to make him feel a lot more welcome.

Bek.

1 comment:

  1. I am SO jealous! A bit of low level water, a few hidey places. Trouble is, the same thing that will encourage him...snakes like too.

    ReplyDelete