Saturday 14 April 2012

A sad kombi day...

It's a beautiful warm autumn Saturday, the sun is shining, birds are singing, and I'm sitting in Annie waiting for a tow. Another opportunity to do nothing. Of course by the time I post this I'll hopefully be at home and making up for lost time, getting 13yo spawn ready for his birthday sleep over, or maybe it will be when I finally stop again, oh how my kombi always picks the best times to be unreliable. My day started with hectic need, drive daughter to boyfriends, drop mum at sisters, keep 10yo spawn happy by making cookies, maybe cook some yumminess for the birthday sleep over, keep the washing going while the weather is good, and so on. Instead, I didn't even complete task number one, Annie's back wheel started pounding and banging, an awful metal on metal sound that made me cringe, and maybe die a little inside. Some kind boys, one was a friend of my 19yo spawn and the other had some mechanical know how, pulled over and tried to help, but alas, the problem was beyond a roadside fix.



There are no words for the love I have for my kombi, I know it's weird, I know she's a machine, but she's also a part of my family, an expression of my identity, a moving memory mobile. So many good times surround my old girl, and you can't drive anywhere without seeing a wistful smile or an excited wave. The best are those people who stop me at random moments when getting in or out of my Annie, they share the most amazing tales of their own kombi experiences, most from a very different time. Kombi vans make the world a happier place. So happy, that about once a week I open my door to a hopeful smiling face asking how much I would sell her for, they have been driving past, and always wanted, or used to own, this amazing icon of pop culture. I am never tempted to part with her, there isn't a price anyone could offer to change my mind. 

My Justin has come to save me and keep me from hunger as I wait for the tow truck, a falafel wrap, a bottle of water and some good conversation later Dominic, my tow truck driver for today arrives, and I am allowed to drive her on the tray myself.

Dominic and I shared tales of spawn, classic cars, drag racing, vegetable gardening, and not least of all, the historical violent competition and dangers of tow truck driving, and some of the crazy experiences he's had. Then sadly, I had to end the journey, say goodbye to the nicest towie I've ever met, and leave my Annie girl at the mechanics.

I wish I'd been able to clean and polish her first, she looks a sorry state all alone, and on I go with the rest of my day. My Justin has let me use his Soarer while Annie's not well, it's black, and a fast sleek turbo powered beast, but it's not the same. I stop at the lights and look out the window, there are no smiling faces, no happy waves. Just competitive drivers who want to see if their car is faster or louder than mine, indifference, and the occasional appreciation for the sexy machine this car with no name is. The world really is a happier and friendlier place when you drive a kombi, I can't wait to drive my Annie home.

Bek

No comments:

Post a Comment