Friday 13 April 2012

Giving blood

I sometimes write how busy I am, too much to do not enough time etcetera, but yesterday I had a little time out. Wednesday after shopping, always an exercise in frustrating frugality that involves two supermarkets, the butchers, the bakers, the deli, and the fruit and veg place, I noticed a blood bank van in the car park, and realised just how long it had been since I rolled up my sleeves and did my bit. That' s not to say that I haven't tried occasionally, I have, but was rejected as it was too soon after giving birth, or because of low iron levels. After a quick text to my perky and quirky sister, I booked us in for next day and we decided to make an afternoon of it.

Now the helpful lady on the phone advised me to have at least a litre of fluid within three hours of donating, she also said extra calories are a good thing, Yay! That meant we could have a guilty calorie laden lunch beforehand! Mmmm, deep fried tofu and stir fried satay vegetables, delicious. Sorry I didn't get a photo of it, I was far too busy shoveling it in! 

It had been so long ago, my sister and I weren't in the blood banks system. But that's okay, the tedious form filling and interview process were quite painless, then we get to the prick, the nurse was so quick, it was only a memory of a sting for less then a second, then it was all lay back with my feet up and chill.


Please excuce the less than flattering image, reclining is not my best angle, and thanks to my perky sister for making blood giving a hoot! There was lots of laughter. See the bag is almost full? So it was needle out, a juice box, and chill some more. In just over an hour we were processed, drained, and none the worse for wear. In future, as we are now in the system, it will be approximately 30 minutes of our day. The way I see it, I may not have a medical degree, but I can take a little time out of my day once in a while to give of myself, and maybe save a life. 

Bek.

No comments:

Post a Comment